November 6, 2013: Portions of the Lone Star Trail remain closed by order of the Forest Service.
We predict only the Big Woods Section will still be closed at Thanksgiving.
Backcountry Camping is prohibited from September 15 to January 15 for Hunting Season
It is our understanding that all portions of the trail west of Interstate 45 that are currently closed will be open soon. The final decision rest with the Forest Supervisor's office in Lufkin. We expect hazard trees in Big Woods to be cut down by the Forest Service before the Thanksgiving Holiday. THE WOODS SURROUNDING THE TRAILS ARE NOT CLOSED.
Text from the most recent Forest Service Closure Order (May 16, 2013) with comments from LSHT Club in red:
AREAS CLOSED: Portions of National Forest System trails located in the SAM HOUSTON NATIONAL FOREST within Montgomery, San Jacinto, and Walker Counties, Texas, which are further described in the prohibited acts below.
EFFECTIVE DATE: This Closure Order is effective May 16, 2013 and continues until rescinded.
PROHIBITED ACTS: No person may enter, go into or be upon or within the hiking trails listed below:
• Multi-Use Trail West TR. NO. 819 (Big Loop Trail)
• Cagle Campground (Cagle Hiking Trail and John's Point Hiking Trail)
• Lone Star Hiking Trail (LSHT) from FM 149 North Trailhead to FM 1375 Trailhead (Kelly Section)
• LSHT from FM 149 South Trailhead to FM 1375 Trailhead (Little Lake Creek Loop Trail east of FM 149 in the Kelly Section)
• LSHT from Stubblefield (Campground) Trailhead to Camella Lake Spillway (North half of Stubblefield Section and West half of Huntsville Section)
• LSHT from the intersection of NFSR 200 to Ira Denson Road Trailhead (all sections
and loops) (Big Woods Section)
Kelly's Pond Campground is now OPEN.
Current Trail Status : -------------------------------------------------------
The entire trail system, including closed sections, has been cleared of fallen debris by volunteers at least once in 2013. No sections remain "impassable." Closed sections have standing dead hazard trees and await clearing by Forest Service personnel.
Camping is restricted to official Hunter Camps from September 15 to January 15. A map of Hunter Camps is here.